More Case Studies
Trimble Juno T41 Case Study
August 26, 2014
Trimble Navigation, founded in 1978 by Charlie Trimble in the Silicon Valley, is a leader in integrating positioning technologies such as GPS, laser, optical, and inertial technologies with application software and wireless communication. The Trimble Mobile Computer Solutions (MCS) Division makes rugged mobile computers for Trimble divisions to combine into solutions and for resellers.
In January 2013, Trimble MCS contracted with SDG Systems to implement the Android (AOSP) 4.1 (“Jelly Bean”) release for the Juno T41 rugged computer. SDG Systems also provided Android Operating System (OS) customization services using the Juno T41 for multiple clients, separate from the contract.
- Implementation of Google Android (AOSP) 4.1 on the Juno T41 device.
- Performance tuning of device drivers, operating system, and Android.
- Power management and battery life tuning.
- Bootloader enhancements.
- "Kiosk Mode" Android- only a single application is available to the user.
- Full functionality of the Juno T41, including barcode scanning, RFID, wireless communication, and sensors.
- SDG engineering services delivered the Android 4.1 release for the T41.
- Under the contract, SDG also provides maintenance services to Trimble.
Since the beginning of the contract in 2013, SDG Systems has delivered two independent Android releases based on available hardware. Darin Peterson praised the thoroughness of the SDG team, saying
“In all cases, SDG delivered finished products that needed very little post-release attention. Certainly not the norm when comparing to the competition. In a recent project, there were hardware discoveries midstream that significantly threatened the project and schedule. SDG powered through them, driving to clear resolution, for an easy pass through verification testing, and to the protection of the schedule.”
The first release supported barcode scanning and was delivered in June 2013. The second release supported UHF RFID and was delivered in February 2014. SDG Systems continues to provide maintenance services to Trimble under this award.